History has been made. One bottle at a time.
The Gahan Brewery (formerly Murphy’s Brewing Co.) was established in March 1997 in Charlottetown, PEI. Due to the increased popularity of the beer, they relocated to its current location, 126 Sydney Street, thus doubling its production capacity and giving it a permanent home in Old Charlottetown in The Gahan House Pub & Brewery. Murphy’s Brewing Co. was renamed The Gahan Brewery in November 2000.
On July 21st, 2008, The Gahan Brewery; PEI’s favourite brewery, officially made history with the bottling of two of their handcrafted ales. Island Red Premium Ale and Sir John A’s Honey Wheat Ale were launched as the first two flavours to be bottled by the brewery.
In September, 2014 the well-established pub decided to make its way across the Northumberland Strait and open up a sister location on the historic Halifax Waterfront and in turn creating Gahan House Harbourfront for even more Maritimes to visit and enjoy their award-winning ales. In 2019 the Gahan House moved up a few blocks and is open at 5239 Sackville Street in the brand new Nova Centre! From our house to yours, cheers!
Gahan is a name unknown in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island today, but in the middle of the 19th century, John Gahan was a prominent merchant, an importer of teas, wines, and family groceries. His place of business was on the corner of Queen and Sydney Streets, the former McIsaac building.
Mr. Gahan lived next door to the shop, at 126 Sydney Street, in a wooden house he had purchased from the Brenan Estate. In 1880 he replaced that residence with the mansard-roofed brick one now at this address. It remained in Gahan ownership until the beginning of the 20th century when John Gahan’s widow, Marguerita, sold the property to Edward Kelly, the enterprising Irishman who built and owned houses all over Charlottetown.
After Edward Kelly’s death in 1922, the premises became the property of the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation. The Sisters of the Precious Blood built a large addition to the house and used it as a convent until the 1960s. In the last quarter century the Gahan House had been used as a boarding house.